5 year eligibility
If you availed of the Cycle to Work scheme in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 or 2013, you are eligible to re-apply for the scheme, no matter what month your original application was made.
- The great news is that you can still get a new bike and/or selected safety equipment for you to use to Cycle to Work up to the value of €1,000.
- You still make the same great savings of 29.5% – 49.5% on the cost of the bicycle and/or safety equipment and your employer also makes a saving on their employer PRSI.
- So why not make the most of your new lifestyle and get a brand new bike and/or safety equipment for commuting to work and save more money.
- Are you aware that you can save up to 52% off the price of a brand new bicycle and associated accessories under a Government-based tax incentive scheme in Ireland?
- Introduced on 1st January 2009, this new tax incentive scheme is designed to encourage more people to get on their bikes and cycle to work!
- You can use a salary sacrifice arrangement to pay for the bike monthly to obtain these savings at a pace that is convenient to you.Your employer also makes savings to encourage them.
- Cycling keeps you fit, it’s fast, cheap and reliable – and it’s great for the environment.
- There is no requirement for you to cycle to work for a specified number of days throughout the year and there is no special requirement for you to record your trips. You can also use the bike for leisure at weekends and on holiday.
- The Department of Transport does not expect employees to keep a record of mileage.
- The Scheme is open to all salaried full- and part-time employees.
Huge savings on bikes and accessories
- You save up to 52% on your bike and accessories and monthly payments with no finance charges.
- Make your salary go further each month.
- Save on monthly fuel, parking, car and train fare bills. Constantly stuck in endless traffic? Get out on your bike instead!
Huge Selection of Brands
- Here at TrailBlazers we aim to find the perfect bike for your needs! We have a fantastic selection of brands such as Cannondale, Cube, LaPierre, Kellys and many more.
- We will spend time with you to find the right frame size and style of bike that works the best for you.
- We will also go through the range of accessories that you may require and give expert advice on what will suit your needs best to ensure you are safe when riding to work.
- Aside from the savings that you will make, getting fit is also the best thing that comes from this scheme.
- At Trailblazers we are big on keeping up your physical and mental strength!
- Increased cardiovascular fitness, muscle strength and felxibility.
- Decreased stress and body fat levels.
- Cycling has the added benefit of ramping up your metabolism, even after the ride is over.
- Improved posture, joint mobility and coordination.
- Cycling can strengthen your immune system and could protect against certain kinds of cancers.
Expert Staff – here to help
- This is a family run business and we are passionate about everything outdoors and fitness.
- Check in with either Damien or Gerard who are brothers and joint owners of Trailblazers and they will give you the expert advice that you are looking for.
- Participating in the bicycle scheme couldn’t be easier.
- Once your employer decides to take part, they simply pay for the bike and equipment of your choice on your behalf, and off you go.
- Your Employer will inform you how the payment will work exactly, whether they buy the bike outright or it operates under a “salary sacrifice” arrangement, but either way you save on tax!
- The scheme is flexible in so far as your employer doesn’t have to specifically notify the Revenue Commissioners that you’re availing of the scheme and there are no Government forms to fill out. However, your employer does have to maintain the normal records such as invoices and payment details associated with buying the bike.
- Step 1: Select your bike and get the relevant paperwork from Trailblazers.
- Step 2: Submit this paperwork to your personnel for processing.
- Step 3: When your payment has been issued you can collect your bike in-store.
If your employer has a history of employees availing of the Bike to Work Scheme there should be no issue with you availing of this scheme too.
“But what if my employer hasn’t used the Bike to Work Scheme before?”
Employers that have not had any experience with this scheme can often be unaware that it exists. Some employers may have misconceptions and worry that this will cost them. Do not worry, approach your employer about the Bike to Work Scheme and notify them of the benefits below:
- Your employer can save money too! This means that the employees saves between 29.5% – 49.5% (depending on tax rate) of the retail price of bike and equipment but your company also makes a saving of 10.75%.Salary sacrafice can range from as little time as you would like up to 12 months.
- A salary sacrifice happens when an employee gives up the right to receive part of the pay due to them under their contract of employment in return for the employer’s agreement to provide some form of non-cash benefit, in this case the purchase of a bicycle and related equipment. You are paying back the purchase of your goods from gross – rather than net – salary following the purchase, in line with the Employer’s scheme guidelines on repayments.
- Encouraging cycling to work reduces carbon pollution and shows the employer has a keen interest in the well-being of the local community and environment. This will improve the company’s corporate image and demonstrate corporate social responsibility.
- Relieve pressure on corporate parking and traffic congestion.
- A healthier, fitter workforce means better performance at work and fewer sick days being taken. Furthermore, the employer is seen to be concerned about employees welfare. The Scheme also offers a tangible benefit to staff in addition to the basic salary package.
- Trailblazers is a Cycling and Outdoor Specialist Store that is focused on getting people kitted out with the clothing and equipment that best suits their needs. We have a huge range of choices on bikes and accessories in-store and online.
- We are a family business and we think that customer service is paramount to making sure that our customers are happy with their choices. Our expert staff are on hand to deliver enthusiastic and passionate advice to help you choose your perfect bike!
- You will know that you are in safe and reliable hands as we have been involved with the Bike to Work Scheme since day one helping to offer great savings to all of our customers.
- On top of receiving expert knowledge and great customer service, we offer a free tune-up first service with every bike purchase! We recommend that you bring the bike back in between 6-8 weeks after purchase to ensure that your bike is in tip top condition.
For more information on how TrailBlazers can help you to avail of the Bike to Work Scheme contact us on the following and we will be happy to help:
Store: Call into our store to speak to a friendly staff member and try out a bike right then and there. Our address is:
Unit 3, Shannonside Retail Park,
Carrick on Shannon,